About LouisQuill

Pronounced loo-ee-kwill (fellow Louisville natives will understand this). This blog will peak into various aspects of my life: my stationery fetish, creativity, journaling, DIY graphic design, and life in general.

Saturday, January 23, 2010

Yes, Virginia, there is a fountain pen store in Louisville, KY....




When I first heard that there is a store in Louisville that carries quality fountain pen products in Louisville, I was thrilled.  Someone had posted an FYI on the Fountain Pen Network bulletin board about a men's clothing store that carries a few brands of fountain pens and inks.

All I heard was that there is a fountain pen store that happens to also carry men's clothing and accessories -- that's how my mind works, folks.

While some local department and art supply stores carry some calligraphy pens and inks, I have not -- up until now -- found any local stores carrying fountain pens.  And since today is National Handwriting Day, I thought I would share the good news (and avoid procrastination).

I first visited them January 15 and again today.  On my first visit, I asked them earlier if I could take some photos for a blog post, but my camera was out of juice on my first visit.  And, of course, I can and will take any excuse to make a return visit for my stationery addiction.

About the Store
The store is called Edgar's and is located on the Southern Baptist seminary campus in the Honeycutt Building.  It has been open for slightly less than one year.  Their regular hours are 11pm -5:30 pm Monday through Friday and 12 pm - 3 pm on Saturdays.  On both visits, I found the staff friendly, helpful, and informative.  I was able to practice writing with some fountain pens before purchasing (something you can't do with mail-order/online fountain pen retailers).



Currently, the store carries some pens from the following brands: Lamy, Sailor, and Waterman.  (For those new to fountain pens, the Lamy Safari fountain pen is a great starter pen in terms of cost and quality; I used Lamy Safari fountain pens for about ten years before sampling other brands).  According to the associate on my January 23 visit, Edgar's might expand to include Pilot pens.  They also carry Private Reserve, Lamy, Waterman, and Sailor brands of inks -- in both bottles and cartridges.  Other products include converter cartridges and alternative-size nibs.  They will also do special product orders by request.




About Pairing with Paper
While Edgar's does not currently carry much in the way of FP-friendly paper, you can often find some of these FP-friendly papers (including Rhodia, Paperblanks, Miquelruis, and Moleskine brands) at local Target, Borders, and Barnes & Noble stores.

Disclaimer/Note
I did not receive compensation in any form for this blog entry from Edgar's or any other organization.  Simply put, I care about quality pen (and paper) products, and I want to share the news of this local retail source.  Happy Writing!

3 comments:

  1. We currently carry Levenger junior & legal sized pads, as well as Col.Littleton pad refils for the journal & folios we sell.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I teach my writing workshops I recommend that people have both paper and pens that make them feel good...that help them touch their creative spirits. I remember fountain pens from my school days - I always loved their elegance.

    (from a fellow unraveller)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent recommendation for students. Sometimes I type to write, but I still need my pens and paper -- especially if the subject is very personal. I don't know what it is, but something about holding a pen in my hand gliding smoothly onto well-paired paper is just very relaxing.

    ReplyDelete