About LouisQuill

Pronounced loo-ee-kwill (fellow Louisville natives will understand this). This blog will peak into various aspects of my life: my stationery fetish, creativity, journaling, DIY graphic design, and life in general.

Thursday, January 7, 2010

Do It Yourself

Up until recently, I had applied to and enrolled in an introductory graphic design class at a local design school. At the last minute, I decided to withdraw. Why? I decided to end my addiction to formal coursework ("my name is Hope, and I am a coursaholic"). I have a bachelor's in German and completed 66.66% of an MBA degree. I love being a lifelong learner, but I decided the hassle of paying tuition, turning in assignments on another's schedule, and commuting time (not to mention a toddler and future deployments) would reduce the enjoyment and feasibility of that format.

So why not teach myself? On my own schedule? By my own syllabi?

While I will not have the feedback of formal instructors, I will reach out to my friends, peers, and kindred spirits for guidance.

It's more fun this way anyhow. My two-year-old is just starting to get interested in drawing and coloring -- that beats a classroom any day of the week!

2 comments:

  1. And yet, here you are Unravelling...yet another course! PS - I'm working my way 'up' the blogroll. Hope you're enjoying!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And yet, here you are, enrolled in Unravelling...yet another course! Well, sort of...

    I'm working my way 'up' the blog roll, BTW. Hope you're enjoying the course.

    ReplyDelete